Select Page

Until 1885, in Prescott and Russell and in south-western Ontario, the French public school system gradually transforms into separate schools, which seem better able to welcome the French-speaking population and allow it to continue learning in French, even when it is prohibited.

The Public Education Ministry decrees that English is to be used in teaching and converts French-language schools into English-French bilingual schools.